Admissions requirements for the program (indicate minimum requirements and general requirements).
Applications for admission will be accepted twice a year to begin doctoral studies in the fall or spring semester.
The following documents/activities must be submitted in support of the application:
- Official transcript(s) of all academic work attempted since high school indicating a GPA of 3.5 (on a scale of 4.0) in a graduate degree program.*
- Official report of score on the GRE or MAT that is no more than 5 years old.*
- At least three references* of someone who knows the applicant's current work and/or academic achievements in previous degree work.
- A two page essay describing prior educational and research experiences and objectives for pursuing doctoral studies.*
- A current resume or vita.
- A professional writing sample (e.g., published article, manuscript submitted for publication, term paper submitted in prior coursework, abstract of thesis, teaching manual).
- A minimum TOEFL score of 220 (computer-based), 557 (paper-based), or 83 (internet based) or a minimum IELTS band score of 6.5 is required for any applicant whose native language is not English. All tests must have been taken within the past two years.
*These items are required of applicants to any of UNC Charlotte's doctoral programs.